1735 – George Wickes founded Garrard and Company in London and appointed as Crown Jewellers of London.
1914 – Garrard & Co manufactured precision range finders for the British Artillery.
1915 – Formed Garrard Engineering and Manufacturing Company Ltd to manufacture precision parts for the military.
1919 – Started producing consumer products high-quality spring wound gramophone motors for Columbia and Decca. Introduced Garrard 1 double spring motor
1921 – Garrard 2, Garrard 3 & 3 with single 1” spring
1922 – Garrard 1a, with 12” pressed steel turntable, winder, brake, speed indicator and Garrard 4, with double spring and capable of playing two 12” or three 10” records .
1923 – Garrard 4a and Garrard 9
1924 – Pressed steel turntable patent GB216823 was granted to Garrard on June 5th. Released Garrard 8 with long 1” spring
1925 – Garrard / Columbia 5-5a-6-7-7a motors models were made especially for Columbia Pictures.
1927 – Garrard 10 cast with 12” plush covered turntable
1928 – Garrard employed Stuart Philpott, an electrical engineer. Philpott along with an assistant, Edmund Walter Mortimer were assigned to design an electrically driven gramophone motor.
1929 – Garrard 10a with longer double spring will play three sides of a 12” records
1930 – Garrard 10b.
1930 – Motor development programme resulted “Garrard 201”, first Garrard gramophone and first Transcription Turntable.
1932 – First Garrard record changer the R.C.1a and R.C.2a
1938 – Produced RC100 (could play both sides of each record, and also mixtures of 10- and 12-inch records) to be market in USA.
1939-45 (WWII) Production ceased during WW2. The Ministry of Defence made full use of the Garrard factory.
1945 – Major S. H. Garrard died. H.V. Slade cut all links with Garrard and Company. The Crown Jewellers and The Garrard Engineering and Manufacturing Company Ltd became a separate entity.
1946 – RC60, the last model to play only 78rpm records.
1948 – RC70 with 10 and 12 inch, 33⅓ rpm and 7 inch 45rpm vinyl records, as well as the older 78rpm records.
1950 – RC80, the first with a magnetic cartridge
1954 – Classic Transcription Turntable Garrard 301, first transcription turntable that played at 33 ⅓, 45 and 78 rpm speeds.
1957 – Released one of the first stereo pickups when stereophonic records were introduced.
1958 – A serious factory fire occurred on March 21. Production was restored with the help of Plessey Company an electronics conglomerate, which loaned factory space.
1959 – New Autoslim series was launched with help from Plessey.
1960 – Company was sold to Plessey
1961 – Herbert Vaughan Slade died
1964 – Introduced Garrard 401 (produced until 1977) to replace the 301. The 401 motor had increased shielding to allow it to be used with more sensitive cartridges.
1964 – Launched Model Lab 80, first record changer with the performance of a transcription turntable and unique adjustment features such as wooden arm.
1965 – Garrard SP25 with four speeds; 16, 33⅓, 45 and 78RPM
1971 – The Zero 100 automatic transcription table with its revolutionary tangential tracking arm.
1975 – Garrard DD-75, first direct drive player began production.
1979 – Plessey sold Garrard to Gradiente Electronics of Brazil and their turntable series production was moved to Brazil (Manaus).
1992 – 1997 Garrard brand name was licensed to other companies in the USA, which imported many electronic items built by many different and unrelated Far Eastern manufacturers.