1949 To 1981
Company Description Submit New Info
Ferrograph produced reel to reel tape recorders from 1951 to 1980 which were manufactured in United Kingdom. These tape recorders targeted the semi-pro, consumer and studio market. The early models of Ferrograph tape recorders used tube electronics and later on they transitioned to solid-state tape recorders. The company produced both 2 and 4 track machines available in 220-240v & 110-120v voltages.
1918 – Founded by Joseph Wright and Thomas Weaire, started as Wright and Weaire Ltd. in London making radio components and instruments.
Wright and Weaire announced their decision to retire and offered the company to Richard Merrick, Ernest Niblett, and Walter Berridge.
1945 – Production transferred from Tottenham to a bigger factory at South Shields
1947 – Merrick was introduced to Louis Fishoff who convinces Merrick to pursue tape recorder production
1948 – Weairite Deck prototype later incorporated into the first Ferrograph tape recorder that was delivered in early 1949
1949 – The British Ferrograph Recorder Company founded as a separate company marketing tape recorders, owned by Wright and Weaire
1950s – Series 4 – Model 4A introduced with two tape speeds, 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips
Model 4AH 7 1/2 and 15 ips.
Series 6 – half track stereo machine with 8.25 inch reels and using standard 1/4 inch tape.
1955 – Wright and Weaire goes public and acquires Ferrograph
1958 – Wright and Weaire name changed to the Ferrograph Company
1957 Ferrograph introduced patents for demagnetizing devices.
1959 – Ferrograph was absorbed by the Wilmot Breeden Group and begins making a wider range of products that includes amplifiers, radio tuners and monitor loudspeakers
1960’s – At the height of the company’s sales success, Ferrograph Patents the term “Tape Deck” as a registered trade mark
1976 – Releases Studio 8
1977 – The National Enterprise Board approached North-East Audio Ltd (NEAL) then Wilmot Breeden sold the Ferrograph company for £500k
1981 The Wilmot Breeden Group declares bankruptcy